I do enjoy trying exotic healthy foods, but they aren’t always easy to find, and they’re rarely in budget. So for daily smoothies, I lean on nutritious “superfoods” that I can find in most grocery stores. This Blueberry Wellness Smoothie capitalizes on many of those any day, good-for-you-foods. It also incorporates an under-appreciated ingredient, apple cider vinegar, or ACV as it’s often referred to.
Blueberry Wellness Smoothie with Apple Cider Vinegar & Everyday Superfoods
Apple cider vinegar trended a bit a decade or so ago, but it’s enjoying a resurgence. This mother of healthy vinegars touts quite a few potential benefits. Research shows it may help shed harmful bacteria, aid weight loss, and reduce blood levels. Countless anecdotal cases also purport it as a “cure” for digestive issues like GERD. And of course, some people just like the lightly sweet and very tangy taste it lends to recipes.
This recipe uses a unique rice vinegar and apple cider vinegar blend that is lightly sweetened. You can substitute plain old apple cider vinegar – preferably in glass bottles and always with “the mother” (it should use this term on the bottle). We suggest just 1 tablespoon if using straight ACV, but you can use a full 2 tablespoons if you like the taste.
This Blueberry Wellness Smoothie recipe with photo was shared with us by Marukan.
Special Diet Notes: Blueberry Wellness Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and paleo-friendly.
Blueberry Wellness Smoothie with Apple Cider Vinegar
Recipe type: Drinks
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ cup banana, frozen
- ½ cup blueberries, frozen
- ½ cup plain almond milk yogurt (or your dairy-free yogurt of choice)
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons organic apple cider and rice drink blend or 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (can sub peanut butter or sunflower seed butter)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (can sub ground flaxseeds)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ground
- ¼ teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Sweetener, to taste (optional)
- Fresh blueberries, for garnish (optional)
- Place the spinach, banana, blueberries, yogurt, water, vinegar, almond butter, chia seeds, cinnamon, and ginger in your blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste test, and blend in your favorite sweetener, to taste, if needed. This will depend on the sweetness of your fruit and the yogurt you choose.
- Pour the smoothie into two glasses, and garnish with fresh blueberries, if desired.