Can we ever have too many banana bread recipes? In my house, banana bread is a year round adventure, and I’m always on the lookout for new twists. This chocolate chip vegan banana bread recipe was created by the famous author, Gail Davis, and shared with us by So Delicious Dairy Free. It is full of flavor and has a buttery finish. They originally passed this recipe onto us in 2013, but with the rising need for dairy-free and eggless quick bread, we thought it was time to dust off and update this recipe post!
Chocolate Chip Vegan Banana Bread by Gail Davis
Gail makes her chocolate chip vegan banana bread special with a few unique ingredients.
Coconut extract plays off of the banana and coconut milk beverage in this quick bread. If you aren’t a coconut fan, you can substitute more vanilla for the coconut extract. OR you can intensify the banana with some banana extract.
Buttery spread or sticks are a wonderful way to add rich flavor to banana bread. If you don’t have any on hand, and you like the coconut influence, substitute coconut oil. It’s equally delicious.
Whole wheat pastry flour is a finer grind of whole wheat flour that allows for a more delicate baked good. You can use whole wheat flour in a pinch, but it will make for a slightly denser, but still tasty, loaf. You can alternatively substitute more all-purpose flour for the whole wheat pastry flour, if needed.
Turbinado sugar is partially refined cane sugar that retains some of the original molasses. This gives it a subtle caramel flavor. If you don’t have any on hand, you can substitute brown sugar or coconut sugar. Plain old white sugar will also work, but won’t be quite as rich.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Chip Vegan Banana Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
Chocolate Chip Vegan Banana Bread
Author: Gail Davis
Recipe type: Bread
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- ½ cup dairy-free buttery spread or sticks
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla dairy-free milk beverage (Gail uses So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage
- 3 teaspoon Egg Replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ to ½ cup semi-sweet or dark dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a an 8×4-inch or 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl cream the sugar and buttery spread with a mixer. Add the mashed bananas, and mix again, just enough to incorporate them together. Add the milk beverage, egg replacer mixture, vanilla extract, and coconut extract and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in your mixing bowl and stir until just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and level it out.
- Bake for 60 to 75 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. The banana bread will get dark on top but will stay moist inside.
- Let the bread cool for 30 minutes, then cut, and serve.