This fun recipe for vegan Cracker Jack ice cream pie was submitted by Suzanne Banfield for a recipe contest that we hosted. She originally called it “Take Me Out to the Ball Game Vegan Ice Cream Pie,” but we’ve updated the name along with the post. However, we stayed true to her recipe. It has a a sweet and savory peanut-pretzel crust, is drizzled with quick caramel and chocolate sauces, and garnished with Cracker Jack.
Vegan Cracker Jack Ice Cream Pie with a Peanut-Pretzel Crust
Just in case you have questions, I have a few answers. Below are some common FAQs for Cracker Jacks and dairy-free recipes ingredients as they pertain to this ice cream pie.
Wait, is Cracker Jack Dairy-Free?
Yes, believe it or not, Cracker Jack is dairy-free and accidentally vegan. It’s even naturally gluten-free. But if you want a soy-free ice cream pie, omit the Cracker Jack and make sure to source soy-free ingredients for the rest of this recipe.
I Can’t Find Cracker Jack in Store. What Should I Use?
Don’t fret! You can simply omit it and top your pie with some more roasted, salted crushed peanuts. It will still have that delicious ball game vibe.
Which Creamer Works Best for the Sauces?
Suzanne used So Delicious Coconut Milk Creamer. We do like that option for recipes. We’ve also made similar sauces with Silk Creamer and nutpods. Most creamers should work well. In a pinch, you can even use light or regular canned coconut milk.
Which Dairy-Free Vanilla Ice Cream is Best?
Suzanne used So Delicious Coconut Milk Ice Cream. I like their Cashew Milk Ice Cream for this Cracker Jack ice cream pie. But see our Best Dairy-Fee Vanilla Ice Cream and Best Dairy-Free Ice Cream rankings for collective top picks.
Special Diet Notes: Cracker Jack Ice Cream Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, optionally tree nut-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose the ingredients that suit your dietary needs.
Vegan Cracker Jack Ice Cream Pie
Author: Suzanne Banfield
Recipe type: Dessert
- 10 tablespoons vegan buttery spread or shortening, divided
- 4 tablespoons turbinado sugar, divided
- 1¼ cups crushed pretzels (gluten-free, if needed)
- ½ cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts
- 3 pints dairy-free vanilla ice cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons dairy-free creamer, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided use
- 2 ounces dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup packaged caramel-coated popcorn with peanuts (such as Cracker Jack)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- For the peanut-pretzel crust, melt 6 tablespoons spread or shortening. Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar, the pretzels, and peanuts.
- Press the crust mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake the crust for 7 to 8 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- Let the crust cool completely before filling.
- For the pie filling, remove the dairy-free ice cream from the freezer and allow it to soften. Scrape it into the pie shell, and even it out. Return the pie to the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- For the caramel drizzle, melt 2 tablespoons of the buttery spread or shortening in a small saucepan. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar and the regular sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils. Whisk in 2 tablespoons coconut creamer. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes or until the caramel thickens.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- For chocolate drizzle, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons shortening or buttery spread and chocolate in small saucepan, stirring until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons coconut creamer and the remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- To serve, remove the pie from the freezer and let it soften for about 15 minutes.
- Place a row of caramel-coated popcorn around the edge of the pie. Drizzle the caramel sauce over the top of the pie in one direction and the chocolate sauce in the opposite direction.
- Use a knife dipped in hot water to get clean slices.
Serving size: 1 slice (1/8 pie) Calories: 467 Fat: 27.6g Saturated fat: 9.8g Carbohydrates: 49g Sugar: 27.6g Sodium: 380mg Fiber: 2.2g Protein: 7g
More Dairy-Free Ice Cream Pie Recipes