Bread pudding isn’t just a great way to use up stale bread (that’s just a side benefit). It also makes a wonderful brunch dish, easy breakfast for a special day, or even a dessert, topped with caramel sauce, maple syrup, or vanilla sauce. This sweet casserole is often rich in dairy, but this dairy-free bread pudding is made without milk and without butter of any kind. It can be made the same day, or you can prepare it ahead and bake it in the morning.
Classic Dairy-Free Bread Pudding that’s Moist, Delicious, and Butterless
Years ago, a reader named Jonathan submitted a recipe for dairy-free bread pudding. It was an entry in a recipe contest we held. His recipe held promise, but was a little too vague in the ingredients and directions. So we’ve used his version, in combination with a beloved recipe from CD Kitchen, to create this everyday dairy-free bread pudding recipe.
This is a very moist, sweet, and delicious bread pudding. It’s naturally butter-less and oil-free, but I’ve also included options for sweetness, adjusting the moisture, and making a larger batch. Don’t be afraid to play around with the recipe, trying different add-ins and flavors. But if you do plan on drizzling it with a sweet sauce, or topping it with dairy-free ice cream, I recommend using the reduced sugar option.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Bread Pudding
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, oil-free, and vegetarian.
Dairy-Free Bread Pudding
Author: Alisa Fleming
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 8 slices stale/dry dairy-free bread, cubed (gluten-free, if needed)
- ½ cup raisins
- 4 cups unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage, divided (see Milk Beverage Note below)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- Grease a 2-quart (like an 11×7-inch) baking dish. Add the bread cubes and raisins, toss together, and spread in an even layer.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the 2 cups milk beverage, eggs, sugar, and vanilla until the sugar is dissolve. Add the remaining 2 cups milk beverage, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, and salt, and mix on low just until combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Let it sit and soak for about 30 minutes, and then preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Bake the dairy-free bread pudding for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until set and golden brown.
Less Moist Pudding: Use 12 slices of bread and prepare the bread pudding in a 9×13-inch baking dish. This makes 8 servings.
Milk Beverage Note: I recommend using a richer milk beverage, not a very thin or very low fat one. You can alternatively use all or part dairy-free creamer, or use lite canned coconut milk for half of the milk beverage.
Sweetener Variations: You can substitute coconut sugar or reduce the sugar to ¾ cup for a less sweet bread pudding. Or, substitute ¾ cup packed brown sugar for a different flavor.
More Dairy-Free Bread Pudding Recipes