This recipe was shared with us about 15 years ago by a reader, but we’ve recently updated it. The creamy filling in this pot pie doesn’t contain any cheese or cheese alternative, but it has a lightly cheesy flavor thanks to the addition of nutritional yeast flakes. You can enjoy it as a cheesy chicken pot pie, turkey pot pie, or vegan pot pie. It’s easy to modify!
Special Diet Notes: Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. It includes vegan and vegetarian options.
Dairy-Free Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie
- 2½ cups hot water
- ¼ cup dairy-free chicken or vegetable bouillon (for vegan)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ cup oil
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 small to medium yellow potatoes, cooked and cut in small pieces
- 1½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
- ½ pound diced chicken or turkey (can use faux chicken or faux turkey for vegan)
- 2 dairy-free puff pastry sheets
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Measure the hot water in a liquid measuring cup and whisk in the bouillon.
- Add flour and nutritional yeast and flour to a large pot. Place the pot over low heat and whisk until the flour is lightly toasted. Whisk in the oil to make a roux. Slowly whisk in the broth you made until smooth. Increase the heat to medium low and whisk in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Add the vegetables and meat or faux meat. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until thickened.
- Roll out one sheet of puff pastry and place it in a 9-inch pie dish, trimming to fit. Bake the bottom pastry for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until it starts to puff.
- Remove the pastry from the oven and pour the filling into it. Place the other puff pastry sheet on top. Trim it to fit and press the edges together to seal. Cut an “x” in the center to allow the filling to vent.
- Bake the pot pie for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and puffed.