There’s no need for dairy when making a creamy seafood pasta. This dairy-free version uses a rich olive oil rue and seafood juices for a more full-bodied flavor. The recipe is also quite versatile. You can make the sauce thicker or thinner, omit the seafood juices, add more seasonings, or substitute in some vegetables. Whatever works for you!
Photo by Markus Winkler.
This Creamy Seafood Pasta doesn’t need Butter, Cream, or Cheese
This Creamy Seafood Pasta recipe was originally shared with us by Blue Diamond Growers, the makers of Almond Breeze non-dairy beverage, many years ago. But we have since adapted it for greater versatility.
We prefer unsweetened coconut milk beverage with creamy seafood dishes, since it tends to be complementary. But feel free to use your favorite unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage for cooking – just be sure to keep the flavor profile in mind.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Creamy Seafood Pasta
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, optionally nut-free, and soy-free.
<br>Dairy-Free Creamy Seafood Pasta
Author: Blue Diamond Growers
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 pound pasta
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 4 stalks green onions, diced
- 8-12 medium size shrimp, peeled, uncooked
- ⅔ cup clams and juice, uncooked (optional)
- ⅔ cup scallops, uncooked
- ⅔ cup crab, uncooked
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1½ cups unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage (like coconut milk beverage)
- 2 tablespoon dried dill (or ¾ tablespoon fresh dill, minced)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Sea salt, to taste
- ⅓ cup white wine (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Heat ¼ cup olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Stir in the mushrooms (if using), onion, shrimp, clams (if using), and scallops. Cook until the seafood is tender, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the crab. Transfer the seafood to a bowl, leaving the seafood juices in stockpot.
- Add the remaining ¼ cup oil to pot. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Add half of the dairy-free milk beverage and cook over low heat, whisking continuously, for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the remaining milk beverage, dill, lemon juice, pepper, and tabasco. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the seafood to the sauce and season to taste with salt.
- Gently simmer for an additional 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often. Add the wine, if desired.
- Serve over pasta.
Sodium Note: Add about 100mg of sodium per serving for each ¼ teaspoon of salt you add to the recipe.
Serving size: ⅙ recipe Calories: 569 Fat: 21.4g Saturated fat: 3.9g Carbohydrates: 51.7g Sugar: .6g Sodium: 319mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 40g
Leave a Reply