I’m sure many of you are familiar with those basic 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies: 1 egg, 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup sugar. These Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies were based on that formula, but I wanted to make them egg-free (a common request) and lower in sugar, while still maintaining their naturally gluten-free and grain-free status. To do so, I made a few little ingredients swaps, and it created scrumdiddlyumptious cookies, if I do say so myself.
Easy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies that are Vegan & Grain-Free
These marvelous cookies are so simple to make. They come together in minutes, can be adjusted to taste as needed, and bake up without need for butter, flour, or egg alternatives. That means you can make them with kids, and you can both enjoy sampling the dough without worry!
I originally shared this recipe in 2011, but have since made some updates and added some tips!
Peanut Butter Tips
Peanut butter can vary quite a bit in consistency from brand to brand. Since the peanut butter is acting as both the fat and the “flour” in this recipe, the taste and texture of the peanut butter can make more of a difference.
I use Trader Joe’s unsalted creamy peanut butter. It is all natural (just peanuts) and has a very soft, almost runny consistency at room temperature. Feel free to use salted peanut butter if you prefer a salty contrast, or crunchy peanut butter if you want some texture. In general, those swap options should work seamlessly.
If the peanut butter you are using is quite firm, you may find your dough a little too solid. If so, simply add a little water, a teaspoon at a time, until it has a cookie dough-like consistency.
Special Diet Notes: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
I have not tested this recipe with other nut butters or seed butters. They will probably work, but might vary in texture. If you use sunflower seed butter, the cookies might have a greenish hue. This is safe, and is a natural reaction between the seeds and baking soda.
Vegan Grain-Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Author: Alisa Fleming
Recipe type: Dessert
- ½ tablespoon flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup peanut butter (see Peanut Butter Tips in post above)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon honey (can sub agave nectar for strictly vegan)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Grind the flaxseeds in your spice grinder, and place them in a mixing bowl. Stir in the water and let that sit while you measure out the other ingredients. Add the peanut butter, powdered sugar, honey (or agave), vanilla, and baking soda. Stir until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. If the mixture is too moist to handle, feel free to place it in the refrigerator to firm up for about 30 minutes. If it is too dry, add a little more water, as needed.
- Scoop the dough by the tablespoonful and place on your prepared baking sheet. Flatten the dough mounds a little (they don’t spread much).
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before you handle them. They do firm up as they cool.