This dairy-free gluten-free chocolate pudding cake recipe was submitted by Erin for a recipe contest that we held back in 2011. We’ve since updated this post. The recipe is a family favorite that her mom created for her, based on a classic dessert. Pudding cake is a magical treat that separates into a cake on top, and a chocolate fudge sauce like pudding on the bottom.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Pudding Cake that’s Deep, Dark, and Delicious
This version of gluten-free chocolate pudding cake is very chocolaty, with a high ratio of cocoa powder and chocolate chips, too! We do have some quick ingredient tips to help ensure the best results.
Choose the Right Cocoa Powder
Because this gluten-free chocolate pudding cake doesn’t use baking soda, already has an acidic ingredient (vinegar), and uses a high amount of cocoa powder, I would use Dutch-processed cocoa powder for this recipe. Natural cocoa powder (often labeled as unsweetened) will produce a more bitter result. Dutch-processed has already been neutralized, so it will produce a sweeter, more seamless chocolate flavor.
Gluten-Free Flour Options
Erin opts to use a single flour, brown rice flour, for this gluten-free chocolate pudding cake. You can substitute another grain flour, like sorghum flour, white rice flour, or oat flour. Do not substitute almond flour or coconut flour. They do not work well in a 1:1 ratio with other flours. You can use a gluten-free baking flour blend in place of the brown rice flour. If it contains any gums, you can omit the xanthan gum in the recipe.
Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips
There are so many brands on the market now available to choose from. See our Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips Guide to find the ones that suit your tastes and dietary needs. Our list does include soy-free and allergy-friendly options.
Special Diet Notes: Gluten-Free Chocolate Pudding Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to use the chocolate chips, milk beverage, and buttery spread that suit your dietary needs.
Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Chocolate Pudding Cake
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- ½ cup + ¼ cup cocoa powder, divided
- 1 cup brown rice flour (see post above for options)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 scant cup plain dairy-free milk beverage
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread
- 1¼ cups boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup brown sugar and ½ cup cocoa powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, remaining ½ cup brown sugar, remaining ¼ cup cocoa, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Add the vinegar to a glass measuring cup. Pour in enough milk beverage to reach 1 cup. Whisk in the melted butter alternative.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan.
- Evenly spread the brown sugar-cocoa mixture over top of the batter.
- Slowly pour the boiling water evenly over the batter.
- Bake the cake for 35 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back when touched.
- Let the cake cool for 30 minutes.
- Scoop the cake and the sauce that forms underneath into bowls. Optionally serve with dairy-free ice cream or whip.
Serving size: 1/9 cake with pudding Calories: 207 Fat: 6.2g Saturated fat: 2.7g Carbohydrates: 39.5g Sugar: 20.1g Sodium: 121mg Fiber: 3.9g Protein: 2.7g