Kebabs are a wonderful dairy-free entree, especially in summer. Not only are they healthy and naturally allergy-friendly, they’re also easy to customize with different proteins, produce, and seasonings. These grilled Asian tofu skewers are also vegan and plant-based, and threaded with grapes for a seasonal twist. But don’t worry, if you’re timid on the grapes, we have other options!
Grilled Asian Tofu Skewers to Keep Your Summer Menu Fresh
This recipe for grilled Asian tofu skewers was originally shared with us by the California Table Grape Commission. We originally shared it about six years ago, but have since updated the recipe, and added a few options.
Grapes on Kebabs?
Try it! You will be surprised. Grapes not only add a little color pop to the presentation, they also have a sweet, juicy, crisp flavor that pairs perfectly with the Asian-inspired ingredients. And, they are reportedly an excellent source of vitamin K, which could be beneficial for bones, especially when paired with mineral-rich tofu.
What Can I Use instead of Grapes?
As noted, we like mushrooms best, and marinate them with the tofu. Other great options include zucchini chunks or bell pepper slices. Using vegetables instead of grapes will naturally lower the calories, carbohydrates, and sugars by a little.
Special Diet Notes: Grilled Asian Tofu Skewers
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
Grilled Asian Tofu Skewers
Author: Grapes from California
Recipe type: Entree
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (can use reduced sodium or gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 pound firm organic tofu, cut into 12 chunks
- 2 cups grapes or mushrooms
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat your grill to high.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the jalapeno, soy sauce, sugar, and ginger. Add the tofu and mushrooms (if using – not grapes) and stir to coat.
- Thread the tofu and grapes or vegetables, alternating, onto 4 skewers.
- Grill the skewers for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Divide the rice among 4 bowls, top with skewers and sprinkle with cilantro.
Serving size: 1 skewer (with grapes) Calories: 235 Fat: 5.7g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 36.4g Sugar: 9.9g Sodium: 466mg Fiber: 2.4g Protein: 12.4g
More Summery Tofu Recipes
Balsamic Grilled Tofu with Cilantro Cauliflower Rice and Sriracha Mayo
Spicy Grilled Tofu Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Leave a Reply