I’ve always been amazed by how many restaurants put dairy in their fajitas. And I’m not just talking about cheese and sour cream on the side. I’ve come across dozens of restaurants that grill with butter, or use a seasoning that contains milk. That’s why I appreciate this recipe for grilled steak and pepper fajitas. It’s easy and delicious, and healthier than restaurant versions anyway. Plus, it’s naturally dairy-free, optionally gluten-free, and all around allergy-friendly.
Easy Grilled Steak and Pepper Fajitas made Allergy-Friendly
This recipe was originally shared with us by Laura’s Lean Beef, but we’ve updated the recipe with more notes and options. And here are some steak tips from Laura’s, since they are definitely experts on beef.
- For best results when grilling these steak and pepper fajitas, choose quality meat that is 92 percent lean or higher. If possible, look for meat that is also sustainably raised and free of added hormones or antibiotics.
- Let dry spice rubs sit for a few hours on the steak. This allows it to penetrate the meat, which tenderizes and adds extra flavor.
- To help keep meat moist and lock in flavorful juices when grilling, use the cover on your grill during part or all of the cook time . If your grill doesn’t have a cover, improvise by putting a large, disposable foil roasting pan over the food.
- Some lean meats cook in less time than fattier cuts, so it is important to keep an eye on the doneness.
And don’t forget the flavorful dairy-free condiments. Pick up some salsa, or try something different with this Mango Tomato Salsa. Buy dairy-free guacamole, or whip up a quick batch of our Simple Guacamole. And if you’re craving something creamy, you can purchase dairy-free sour cream, or make Cashew Sour Cream or Tofu Sour Cream with ease.
Special Diet Notes: Grilled Steak and Pepper Fajitas
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and top food allergy-friendly.
For paleo grilled steak and pepper fajitas, use your favorite paleo wraps or lettuce wraps.
Dairy-Free Grilled Steak and Pepper Fajitas
Author: Laura’s Lean Beef
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 pound lean, hormone-free ribeye steak (strip, sirloin or flank)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into fourths lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into fourths lengthwise
- 1 medium-hot Poblano pepper, seeded and cut into fourths lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow or purple onion, horizontally sliced (rings kept intact)
- 8 small tortillas (gluten-free or flour)
- Pico de gallo or salsa, for serving
- Guacamole, for serving
- Dust the steak with the black pepper, cumin, and chili powder, and refrigerate for 2 or more hours.
- When ready to cook, place the peppers and onion slices on the grill over medium heat. Turn frequently until the vegetables are covered with dark spots, but not burnt. Remove from the grill and cool for about 4 minutes.
- Pull the skins off the peppers and slice into strips. Break the onion slices into rings and toss with the peppers in a serving bowl.
- Place the steak on the grill. Cook, turning frequently, until it reaches your desired level of doneness. Remove from the grill and cut diagonally into thin slices.
- Warm and soften the tortillas on the edge of the grill, away from direct heat.
- Roll the steak, pepper, and onion slices into the tortillas.
- Serve with pico de gallo or salsa and guacamole.
Salt Option: If you like to salt the meat, sprinkle it with about ½ teaspoon salt 1 hour before grilling.
Serving size: 2 fajitas Calories: 408 Fat: 13.3g Saturated fat: 4.9g Carbohydrates: 34.8g Sugar: 6.8g Sodium: 501mg Fiber: 2.8g Protein: 36.8g
More Dairy-Free Meals for the Grill