Whether your looking for a St. Patrick’s Day snack, an Earth Day worthy recipe, or just some new munchies to enjoy while binge watching Netflix or Prime, I think you’ll like this honey matcha popcorn. It’s baked with a lightly sweet, green tea coating, and toasted with sesame seeds for extra flavor and crunch. Popcorn is naturally gluten-free, plant-based, and non-GMO, and this green tea popcorn recipe is also dairy-free. And of course you can make it vegan-friendly with your favorite honey alternative!
Honey Matcha Popcorn is a Tasty Way to Go Green
As usual, I like to give a few tips and suggestions regarding the ingredients!
- Popcorn – You can use unsalted, unbuttered microwave popcorn or stove-top popped popcorn in this recipe. But fresh air-popped will produce the best results. Invest in a cheap air popper, you won’t regret it! I’m not sure why, but we love white popcorn kernels, but yellow popcorn is tasty too, and typically less expensive.
- Buttery Spread or Oil – You can actually use buttery sticks or another oil, if needed. We prefer coconut oil on popcorn – it just works – but this recipe is flexible.
- Honey – Any liquid sweetener will do the job. The floral flavor of honey just goes so beautifully with matcha.
- Matcha Powder – Use pure matcha green tea powder, not a matcha mix. You can often find it at the grocery store in the tea aisle, but I find it much cheaper online from retailers like Nuts.com. It can seem expensive, but a bag usually lasts a while.
- Sesame Seeds – These add crunch and the black sesame seeds add a pop of color. White sesame seeds are equally tasty, or you can substitute flax seeds, poppy seeds, or chia seeds for an additional twist. Studies have shown whole seeds retain their omega benefits when baked.
This honey matcha popcorn recipe with photo was shared with us by popcorn.org.
Special Diet Notes: Honey Matcha Popcorn
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, plant-based, and vegetarian. See the vegan options for strictly vegan (honey-free) needs.
Dairy-Free Honey Matcha Popcorn
Author: The Popcorn Board
Recipe type: Snack
- Preheat your oven to 300ºF and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the popped popcorn in large mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt together the buttery spread or coconut oil, honey, matcha powder and salt, whisking until dissolved. Pour the hot mixture over the popcorn and gently toss with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Spread the popcorn mixture out on your prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (if using).
- Bake the popcorn for 25 to 30 minutes, giving it a stir every 10 minutes or so, or until the popcorn is dry.
- Let the matcha popcorn cool completely before serving.