This bountiful Mixed Berry Green Salad calls for strawberries, blueberries, and apples, and includes a simple homemade blueberry balsamic vinaigrette. The naturally sweet-tart selection of fruit pairs well with a variety of lettuce, while pecan halves add crunch. But don’t worry, I have a nut-free tip below.
This Mixed Berry Green Salad will be the Star of Your Picnic
Of course this recipe is wonderful as is. But here are some delicious options for changing things up, based on special diet needs, or what you have on hand!
- Apple Swap: You can sub jicama for the apple if you want a less sweet or lower sugar salad. It provides a similar crunch, and can still be made into start shapes, if desired.
- Nut-Free Options: Pecans add contrasting crunch, but you can swap toasted sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds for a nut-free salad with similar textures. Other tasty alternatives include dairy-free croutons or wonton strips.
- Other Berries: We think blackberries or even raspberries would also be delicious on this salad. If you opt to use another berry in the vinaigrette, make sure you strain it to remove any seeds, if needed.
This mixed berry green salad recipe with photo was shared with us by freshexpress.com.
Special Diet Notes: Mixed Berry Green Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, vegetarian, plant-based, and paleo-friendly. See post above for nut-free option.
Mixed Berry Green Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
Author: Fresh Express
Recipe type: Salad
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (sub agave nectar for strictly vegan)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 large apples
- 2 (6-ounce) packages mixed lettuce (like Fresh Express 5-Lettuce Mix)
- 1 pint strawberries, halved
- 1 pint blueberries
- ½ cup toasted pecan halves
- Place the blueberries, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and lemon juice in your blender and puree until smooth.
- Blend in salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cut the apples into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Optional: Using a 1-1/2-inch diameter star-shaped cutter, cut the apple slices into stars.
- Place the lettuce mix in a large bowl;. Add the apples, strawberries, and blueberries. Sprinkle with the pecans.
- Before serving, drizzle each salad with the blueberry balsamic vinaigrette.