It’s always cookie season, in my opinion, but December is when sweet biscuit baking kicks into high gear. We already have more than a dozen dairy-free Christmas cookie recipes in our collection, but it never hurts to add one more! This year, Jessica Mitton is sharing one of her favorites with us, dairy-free and gluten-free oatmeal pumpkin spice cookies.
Oatmeal Pumpkin Spice Cookies for Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Baking
This recipe for oatmeal pumpkin spice cookies is a sample from Jessica’s cookbook, Some Good Sweet Treats. It’s a full-color dessert collection that’s dairy-free, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free! The recipes include quick breads, various chocolate goodies, muffins, cakes, crumbles, toppings, and of course, cookies!
Jessica makes these cookies with simple, everyday ingredients, that you can find in most dairy-free, gluten-free kitchens. Nonetheless, I know some of you have even more restrictions, so I’ve put together some options.
Substitution Suggestions for these Oatmeal Pumpkin Spice Cookies
These are our tips for adapting the recipe to various special diet needs.
- Not gluten-free? You should be able to use all-purpose flour in place of the brown rice flour with good results.
- Want to use another gluten-free flour? Most grain-based flours, like sorghum or millet flour, will work in a pinch. But do not use coconut flour. It will not work. Almond flour might work, but the results will definitely be different, and you’ll need to adjust the cook time and possibly the ingredient ratios.
- Need egg-free? See our Egg Substitution Guide to find your best options.
- What about nut-free? You can substitute another tasty add-in for the pecans, like dairy-free chocolate chips, raisins, or pumpkin seeds.
- Is coconut-free possible? Yes, most baking oils will work in place of the coconut oil. The cookies just won’t set up as firmly when cool. You can also substitute brown sugar or evaporated cane sugar for the coconut sugar.
Special Diet Notes: Oatmeal Pumpkin Spice Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. See my notes above for substitution tips.
Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Oatmeal Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Author: Jessica Mitton
Recipe type: Dessert
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats (certified gluten-free, if needed)
- ½ cup raw pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, softened
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon pumpkin purée
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Combine the flour, oats, pecans, spices, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add the oil, coconut sugar, egg, vanilla, and pumpkin purée. Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine until you get cookie dough.
- Measure out a heaping tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Place on you prepared baking sheet and gently press with fingers. Repeat until the cookie dough is gone.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned.