This dairy-free peach ice cream recipe was adapted many years ago from an article in The Detroit News by Kate Lawson. Today, we’re giving this recipe an update. It’s delicious as soft serve or hard packed for scoops. And it doesn’t require an ice cream maker. All you need is a food processor or good blender that can tackle frozen peaches with minimal liquid.
Plant-Based Peach Ice Cream that’s Ready in an Instant
Here are a few recipe substitution options, just in case you want to mix things up:
- Fresh Fruit vs Frozen: You can certainly use pre-frozen peaches if stone fruit season has ended. But the flavor of this nice cream relies heavily on the taste of the fruit. Store-bought frozen peaches can have lackluster flavor. Taste a little before processing to ensure the peaches are sweet and flavorful.
- Creamier Options: You can substitute lite canned coconut milk, full-fat canned coconut milk, or coconut cream for the milk beverage for a creamier finish, respectively. If using one of these options, I would increase the vanilla to 3/4 teaspoon. If you have a dairy-free vanilla creamer on hand, that could also work as a good substitution, but I would reduce the sweetener, to taste.
- Sweetener Swap: Brown sugar and peaches go together like peanut butter and chocolate. But peaches do pair well with other sweeteners, if you prefer. You can substitute cane sugar, coconut sugar, honey, or your sweetener of choice, to taste. You can easily start with less and blend in more as needed to make your perfect peach ice cream.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Peach Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Be sure to pic a milk beverage that suits your dietary needs.
Dairy-Free Peach Ice Cream
Author: Adapted from Kate Lawson
Recipe type: Dessert
- 4 cups fresh, sliced peaches
- 1 cup vanilla dairy-free milk beverage
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon salt, to taste
- Spread the sliced peaches on cookie sheet and freeze for 4 hours.
- Place the frozen peaches, milk beverage, brown sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt in your food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately as soft serve or scrape into a container and freeze for 30 minutes or longer for a firmer, scoopable texture.
Leave a Reply