Updated in 2021! The Human Bean started in the hamlet city (pun intended) of Ashland, Oregon in 1998. But they’ve since expanded to more than 100 locations in 14 U.S. states.
The Human Bean has created Farm Friendly Direct, which is their own coffee sourcing program. Through this program, they work directly with farmers around the world to develop long-term sourcing relationships and to support the local farming communities. Beyond buying beans, they have directly funded several community projects. And for consumers like us, they go above and beyond with dairy-free options.
The Human Bean Dairy-Free & Vegan Menu Guide
I was truly pleased with how responsive and helpful The Human Bean was with my dairy-free requests. They provided the allergen chart below, which allowed us to create this dairy-free menu. The following items are also vegan-friendly.
Dairy-Free Milk Beverages
- Almond Milk (Pacific Foods Barista Original)
- Coconut Milk (So Delicious)
- Hemp Milk (Pacific Foods Original)
- Macadamia Milk (Milkadamia)
- Oat Milk (Pacific Foods Barista Original)
- Soy Milk (Pacific Foods Barista Vanilla)
Heads Up! All options might not be available at every location, but most will have at least a few, if not all of them.
- Chocolate Mac Breve (order with dairy-free milk alternative)
- Peppermint Latte (order with dairy-free milk alternative)
- Vanilla Mocha (order with dairy-free milk alternative)
Heads Up! The Human Bean uses Torani and DaVinci Syrups. See our Dairy-Free Syrup Guide Here. Depending on the syrup and brand used at your location, the Caramel Hazelnut, Caramel Mocha, Irish Cream Breve, and/or Salted Caramel might be dairy-free. Check with your barista. But the Mexi Mocha, and Snowy Mocha coffee drinks definitely contain dairy. The Pumpkin Sauce they use during pumpkin spice season also contains dairy.
- Chai (dairy-free on request)
- Cold Brew
- Flavor Infused Tea
- Flavored Steamer (order with dairy-free milk alternative; verify syrup flavor here)
- Freshly Brewed Coffee
- Hot Chocolate (dairy-free on request)
- Mate Latte (dairy-free on request)
- Smith Tea
- Breve (order with dairy-free milk alternative)
- Café Latte (order with dairy-free milk alternative)
- Café Mocha (order with dairy-free milk alternative)
- Cappuccino (order with dairy-free milk alternative)
- Espresso Shot
Iced & Frozen Favorites
- Acai Smoothie
- Flavor Infused Energy Drink (verify syrup flavor here)
- Italian Soda (verify syrup flavor here)
- Jet Lemonade Smoothie (dairy-free on request)
- Real Fruit Smoothies (dairy-free on request; flavors may include blueberry pomegranate, green apple, mango, peach, pina colada, raspberry, strawberry, strawberry banana, and/or lemonade)
Heads Up! The Protein, Green Tea, Pumpkin Pie, and Vanilla Smoothies and Frozen Hot Chocolate do contain dairy. The Java Chip and Low Carb options for Smoothies and Granitas also contain dairy. The Human Bean is still working on a dairy-free frappe (they use frappe in their Granitas and some Smoothies), but it hasn’t happened yet.
The Human Bean Allergen Chart
Need to customize yourself? Here is their Allergen Chart for drinks. Please note that the Hershey’s Syrup is dairy-free, that box was just missed. And see this post for flavor help: Dairy-Free & Allergen Guide to Torani & DaVinci Syrups.
The Human Bean Dairy-Free Food Options
Baked Goods: The standard food options at The Human Bean come from Seattle’s Favorite bakery. Almost all of their baked goods contain dairy, aside from basic bagels. However, franchisees can choose to use local vendors, so you might find some surprise dairy-free and vegan options at your local shop.
Pre-Packaged: Most locations have oats without dairy (like Umpqua Oat Cups), and may have some other packaged dairy-free snacks, like Erin Baker’s Breakfast Cookies.
This Post is for Informational Purposes Only
Menus, ingredients, kitchen procedures, management, and restaurants are subject to change at any time. Always read the menu and discuss your dietary needs with the staff before ordering. Make sure that they can accommodate your situation. This post is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as advice.
There is always a risk for potential cross-contamination of allergens in any commercial kitchen. If cross-contamination is an issue for you, always speak with the manager to ensure that your meal can be safely prepared. Listings here do not guarantee that a restaurant is safe enough for your individual needs. Only you can make that decision.
Where to Find The Human Bean
At last check, they had shops in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Texas and Washington. Most are drive-thru barista stops, but they’ve been adding more counter-service coffee houses with indoor seating. See the website below for locations and hours.
Average Reader Review
0 out of 5 stars (based on 0 reviews)