It might sound odd, but tofu chocolate mousse is a classic dairy-free recipe that everyone seems to love. It’s rich and chocolaty, with the perfect creamy finish. This dessert is also naturally vegan, egg-free, gluten-free, and nut-free, and we’ve included some delicious flavor options. You can make the Pure Chocolate version, or mix things up with our Raspberry, Mocha, or Mint variations.
Dairy-Free Chocolate Cups for Mousse or Pudding
Enjoy Life shared this fun serving idea with us. These edible dairy-free chocolate cups are made with the help of water balloons, and are perfectly-sized for the tofu chocolate mousse recipe below.
- Blow up 8 to 10 water balloons, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt 1 (10-ounce) bag of dairy-free chocolate chips with 2 teaspoons non-hyrdrogentated shortening (no substitutes!) in the microwave in 30 second intervals, whisking vigorously between each interval. Heat only until just melted and smooth – do not overheat.
- Dip the balloon into the melted chocolate, coating about 1/3 of the balloon. Let the excess chocolate drip off. Repeat this step one additional time. Place the dipped end of the balloon on the parchment paper. Repeat this whole step with the remaining balloons.
- Place the baking sheet with the dipped balloons in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, or until the chocolate is set.
- To release the air from the balloons, pinch the balloon just under the knot and cut a small hole in the surface between fingers and knot. Gradually release the air. Be careful not to release the air too quickly or the bowls may break. Carefully peel the deflated balloons from the chocolate bowls. Patch any holes with the remaining chocolate if needed. Return the chocolate bowls to the refrigerator to make sure they are set before filling them with mousse or pudding.
We originally shared this recipe in 2008, but have given the post a big update!
Special Diet Notes: Tofu Chocolate Mousse
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
Tofu Chocolate Mousse (with Raspberry, Mint & Mocha Options)
Author: Adapted from Enjoy Life Foods
Recipe type: Dessert
- In a blender or food processor, puree the tofu until smooth. Scrape the tofu into a mixing bowl.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips for 1 minute, and stir. Continue heating in 30 second intervals until the chocolate is just melted and smooth, whisking vigorously after each interval. Do not overheat.
- Add the brown rice syrup to the melted chocolate, and mix until combined. The chocolate should “seize” and pull away from the sides of the bowl, almost forming a ball.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the tofu. Blend with a mixer until smooth and creamy. Mix in the vanilla.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until the mousse is set.
- Spoon or pipe the mousse into serving dishes.
Mint Chocolate Mousse Option: Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon mint extract, to taste, with the vanilla.
Mocha Chocolate Mousse Option: Add 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder with the vanilla.