Having an arsenal of homemade sauces makes dairy-free living so much easier and delicious! This recipe for tomatillo green chile sauce was originally shared with us by Wayne Nelson, back when he was writing for a blog called The Cook’s Kitchen. He said it tasted so much better than canned versions, and is fantastic on dairy-free enchiladas, fish tacos, grilled meats, and more.
Tomatillo Green Chile Sauce for Enchiladas, Tacos, and More
This recipe calls for roasted chile peppers, which you can buy frozen. But you can also roast your own! There are a few methods. You can blister them on a gas stove, broil them in the oven, or roast them in a high heat oven. I prefer the latter. With that method, the chiles are roasted on a baking sheet in a 425°F oven for about 10 minutes per side.
Once cooked, the peppers are allowed to sit and steam in a plastic bag or bowl covered with plastic wrap. This loosens the skins so you can peel them right off once the peppers are cool. You can then remove the stems from the peppers, optionally deseed them, and use them in your recipe!
Special Diet Notes: Tomatillo Green Chile Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, optionally vegetarian, plant-based, paleo, and allergy-friendly.
Tomatillo Green Chile Sauce
Author: Wayne Nelson
Recipe type: Sauce
- 2 pounds fresh roasted or frozen roasted green chile peppers
- 10 tomatillos
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 6 to 8 green onions and tops
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth or vegan chicken-free broth
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Put the chiles, tomatillos, cilantro, and onions in your food processor or blender and pulse to a medium puree. There should still be chunks remaining.
- Transfer the green chile sauce to a stock pot and stir in the broth.
- Place the pot over medium-low heat, and simmer for about 2 hours, cooking off some of the liquid.
- Add the garlic salt and garlic powder during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Serving size: ¼ cup Calories: 21 Fat: .3g Saturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 3.6g Sugar: .2g Sodium: 280mg Fiber: 1g Protein: .7g
Leave a Reply