My good friend Hannah has just released her NINTH cookbook, and it’s a must buy for fall. The Everyday Vegan Cheat Sheet is a delicious selection of one-pan wonders for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even dessert. As a sample, enjoy her easy recipe for vegan banana sheet pan cakes!
Vegan Banana Sheet Pan Cakes are the Easy Way to Perfect Pancakes
As someone who prefers oven-cooking to stove top-cooking, I was in recipe heaven when I read through The Everyday Vegan Cheat Sheet. It contains dozens of ridiculously creative, yet completely simple dishes to help me mix up my meal routine.
I’ve already marked the Cauliflower Tempura, Tofu Caprese, Melting Za’atar Potatoes, Pumpkin Parker House Rolls, Harvest Tagine, Kabocha Gnocchi with Miso Browned Butter, Portobello Paprikash, New York Crumb Cake as “must try” recipes. But first, I think I’ll start my day with these vegan banana sheet pan cakes!
Pancakes are a brunch favorite but making them for a crowd is no easy feat. Even with a large skillet or griddle, it’s almost impossible to serve everyone a warm short stack at once. Our solution? These easy sheet pan pancakes—essentially a giant, fluffy, buttery pancake that you’ll cut into squares and serve warm to friends and family. To achieve the signature golden brown color, we brushed the pancake with melted plant butter after baking and popped it under the broiler for the finishing touch. Keep it classic with the basic recipe or try one of our variations below. No matter your add-ins, be sure to serve with butter and maple syrup.
Make Ahead Tip
There is no “bad first pancake” with this recipe. Just pop the batter in the oven for a whole tray of perfectly cooked pancakes with no waste. If you aren’t feeding a small army, you can cover and refrigerate the pancakes for a few days, or freeze the squares. Frozen squares can be reheated in the toaster if you haven’t added chocolate or strawberries to your batch.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Banana Sheet Pan Cakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose the milk beverage, butter alternative or oil, and add-ins that suit your dietary needs.
Vegan Banana Sheet Pan Cakes
Author: Hannah Kaminsky
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 3 very ripe, large bananas, divided
- 2 cups plain dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dairy-free butter alternative or coconut oil, melted and divided
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup dairy-free chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or sliced strawberries (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and lightly grease a half sheet pan.
- In a medium bowl, vigorously mash two of the bananas until fairly smooth. Mix in the non-dairy milk, vinegar, vanilla, and 3 tablespoons of the melted dairy-free butter alternative or coconut oil. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Separately, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour the liquid mixture into the bowl of dry goods and use a wide spatula to combine. Stir until the batter is just blended; a few lumps are perfectly fine, and in fact encouraged! Over-mixing is the mortal enemy of tender, fluffy pancakes.
- Pour the pancake batter onto your prepared sheet pan, spreading it evenly to reach all the sides in one smooth layer. Slice the remaining banana and sprinkle the rounds across the top, followed by any other goodies you’d like to include.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Brush with remaining vegan butter or coconut oil, turn on the broil to high, and cook for an additional 5 minutes to give the top a fetching golden tan.
- Cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing and stacking up.
Serving size: 1 serving / 3 pancakes Calories: 320 Fat: 5.2g Saturated fat: 1.3g Carbohydrates: 63.2g Sugar: 14.5g Sodium: 529mg Fiber: 3.6g Protein: 6.5g