I’m loving this Vegan Blueberry Peach Cobbler recipe right now. It’s easy to bake, works with seasonal fresh fruit or frozen fruit (for any time of year), and uses everyday pantry ingredients. You wont’ need to hunt for the perfect buttery spread – this dessert is “butterless.” It’s also nut-free and soy-free to fit most special diet needs. The recipe is a special treat that Dianne Wenz shared with us, as a sample from her cookbook Eating Vegan: A Plant-Based Cookbook for Beginners.
Vegan Blueberry Peach Cobbler that Anyone Can Bake
In all of her cookbooks, Dianne is always full of interesting information and helpful tips. You’ll note that she offers a frozen fruit option in this recipe. And in the intro, she explains why this is a blueberry peach cobbler, specifically.
There are so many different fruity desserts, it’s difficult to keep them straight. Cobblers, crisps, crumbles, buckles, betties, slumps, and grunts (yes, really)—what’s the difference? They’re similar in that they’re all baked fruit with some sort of topping. The difference comes with exactly what that topping is. Cobblers have a biscuit style topping. They work well with just about any type of fruit, so feel free to mix it up. ~ Eating Vegan, Dianne Wenz
Dianne’s choice of fruit is perfect for this time of year. Peaches and blueberries are still abundant. But as the weather turns, you might transition to blackberries, then apples, or even pears.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Blueberry Peach Cobbler
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
Vegan Blueberry Peach Cobbler
Author: Dianne Wenz
Recipe type: Dessert
- 4 peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 3 cups blueberries
- ¼ + ½ cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dairy-free milk beverage
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and have an 8×11-inch baking pan ready.
- In a large bowl, stir together the peaches, blueberries, cornstarch, ¼ cup sugar, lemon juice, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Spread them in the bottom of the baking dish.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, remaining ½ cup sugar, baking powder, remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk beverage, oil, and vanilla extract. Add to the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix. Spread the mixture over the fruit. It’s okay if it’s uneven.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.
First-Timer Tip: Using frozen fruit makes this recipe so much easier. You’ll need a 16-ounce bag each of peaches and blueberries. It’s okay to bake with the fruit straight from the freezer. There’s no need to thaw it—it will heat up as the cobbler bakes.
Leave a Reply