This recipe was a runner-up in a contest we co-hosted back in January 2011, but we’ve updated the post. It was created by a blogger named Liz, who has since retired from the blogging world. But her recipe for these indulgent vegan chocolate banana brownies lives on!
Vegan Chocolate Banana Brownies that are Moist, Dark, and Delicious
We have a couple notes to share in terms of options for this vegan chocolate banana brownies recipe.
Cocoa Powder Options
Liz uses “unsweetened” cocoa powder, which can also be labeled as “natural” cocoa powder. It tends to be more bitter, and is used more often in recipes that call for baking soda. The bitterness is from the acid in the cocoa powder, which reacts with baking soda. But some people just like to use natural cocoa powder in all of their baking. If you are concerned about bitterness, you can use Dutch-processed cocoa powder instead. It makes the brownies a little darker and lends more of a sweet richness to desserts.
Coconut Butter Alternatives
This is a pricy ingredient, and can be hard to find. If you don’t hve any on hand, you can substitute your favorite dairy-free buttery sticks or spread for baking. We like this option best, since it also adds another hint of salt to the recipe. Alternatively, you can use shortening in place of the coconut butter. Oil might also work as a suitable substitute.
Milk Beverage Options
If you don’t have any chocolate milk alternative on hand, swap in vanilla milk beverage, or whatever type is in your refrigerator. You can increase the cocoa powder by another tablespoon, if desired.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Chocolate Banana Brownies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose the milk beverage that suits your dietary needs.
Vegan Chocolate Banana Brownies
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder (see post above)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut butter, softened (see post above for alternatives)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup chocolate dairy-free milk beverage
- Preheat oven to 325°F and grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat the coconut butter in a mixing bowl for 30 seconds. Add the sugars and beat until combined. It will be crumbly. Add the mashed banana and beat until creamy.
- Add the flour mixture to the flour mixture, and briefly mix to combine. Add the milk beverage, mixing on low speed, until combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for 30 minutes. When a toothpick is inserted into the brownies you want them to be just slightly gooey.
- Let the brownies cool completely before slicing and serving.
Serving size: 1 brownie Calories: 241 Fat: 8.9g Saturated fat: 7.4g Carbohydrates: 40.7g Sugar: 22g Sodium: 32mg Fiber: 4.1g Protein: 3.5g