This flavorful Vegan Nut Paté recipe was contributed by a reader way back in the beginning of Go Dairy Free. Unfortunately, I can’t find record of who it was! Nevertheless, this recipe has become a favorite plant-based spread with “just” dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free, and even keto visitors, so I’m giving the post a big update.
Vegan Nut Paté that’s High in Protein and Calcium, but Low in Carbs
This recipe is naturally high in protein and magnesium, and it’s even a good source of dairy-free calcium, with roughly 100 milligrams per serving. And did I mention the omega 3 fatty acids from the nuts? Plus, low carb dieters will appreciate that each serving has less than 2 grams of net carbs.
We enjoy this plant-based spread on toast for a light lunch, but you can also serve it as an appetizer with baguette, crackers, or crudités. The cayenne does give it a little kick. You can omit it or substitute smoked paprika for flavor without heat.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Nut Paté
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
Vegan Nut Paté
Recipe type: Appetiser
- ¾ cups walnuts
- ½ cup pecans
- 12 ounces firm tofu, drained (can use silken)
- ¼ cup soy sauce or wheat free tamari (for gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoon diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Put the walnuts and pecans on a baking sheet and bake for 7 to 10 minutes, or until fragrant. Keep a close eye as they can go from toasted to burnt very quickly.
- Put the toasted nuts, tofu, soy sauce, onion, vinegar, garlic, and cayenne in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Scrape the pate into a serving bowl, and stir in the chopped parsley, if using.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. It will thicken as it chills, and will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Serving size: ⅛ batch Calories: 122 Fat: 10g Saturated fat: .9g Carbohydrates: 3.3g Sugar: .7g Fiber: 1.6g Protein: 7.1g