Years and years ago, my friend Dreena Burton shared her famous vegan pumpkin chocolate pie with us. Over time, this decadent dessert became lost in our archives. So today, I’m giving her recipe a big update. It’s the perfect holiday dessert for everyone to enjoy, since it’s not only dairy-free and egg-free, but also nut-free, soy-free, and optionally gluten-free. But don’t worry, nothing is missed! Dreena is an amazing cookbook author, and her recipes never disappoint.
Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Pie made without Top Allergens
Dreena uses a chocolate cookie crumb pie crust for optimal chocolate density. But you can use a traditional pie crust or a graham cracker pie crust. And you can choose a gluten-free option, if needed. Here are a few
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Pie (Allergy-Friendly)
Author: Dreena Burton
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1¼ cups + 2 tablespoons dairy-free, soy-free chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life or Nestle Allergen-Free), divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin pie mix (I use Farmer’s Market Organic brand)
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- ⅛ rounded teaspoon sea salt
- 1 prepared chocolate cookie pie crust (see post above for options)
- Garnish (optional): fresh fruit, coconut whip, cashew cream, or dairy-free vanilla ice cream
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Melt the 1¼ cups chocolate chips.
- Put the pumpkin pie mix, sugar, arrowroot powder, and salt in your food processor. Purée until very smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of bowl as needed. Add the melted chocolate, and puree just until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of bowl as needed.
- Scrape the filling into your pie crust and even it out. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons chocolate chips.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350ºF and bake for another 35 minutes, or until the pie is set (the center may be soft, but it will set further as it cools).
- Carefully transfer the pie to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before slicing. Optionally refrigerate the pie for a firmer, chilled dessert.
- Serve topped with your garnish of choice.