This easy, healthy vegan tofu frittata recipe was shared with us by my good friend Hannah at Bittersweet Blog. It’s a wonderful brunch dish that’s healthy, plant-based, cheeseless, eggless, gluten-free, and even oil-free. It’s also very quick and easy to make! You probably even have all of the ingredients on hand.
Hannah doesn’t specify firm or extra-firm tofu, but we recommend extra-firm if you want it to set more firmly. However, firm should work for you in a pinch.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Tofu Frittata
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, oil-free, sugar-free, and vegetarian.
Vegan Tofu Frittata (with Spinach or Other Vegetables)
Author: Hannah Kaminsky
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1 (12-ounce) package silken tofu (firm or extra-firm)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1½ cups cooked or thawed frozen spinach or other cooked vegetables
- ½ medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and grease an 8-inch cake pan or oven-safe skillet.
- Place the tofu, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, mustard, lemon juice, thyme, and turmeric in your blender or food processor. Puree until very smooth. It should look a bit like frittata mousse.
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat, saute your onions until translucent. Throw in the garlic, and cook for another minute. Remove from the heat, and stir the onion, garlic, and spinach or other vegetables into the tofu mixture.
- Pour the tofu mixture into your prepared pan and even it out.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until set. Optionally broil the top for a couple minutes to brown it.
- Let cool for a few minutes before slicing.