This flavorful, restaurant-style wasabi salad dressing packs a punch. It’s perfect for wasabi lovers, but can even be toned down for anyone who doesn’t like the sinus rush! Pair this vinaigrette with any type of greens, or use it on your favorite protein. We first shared this recipe way back in 2006, but have since updated it.
Wasabi Salad Dressing like the Vinaigrette at Your Favorite Sushi Spot
This wasabi salad dressing is a small batch vinaigrette, because you want to make it fresh to preserve the wasabi punch. Wasabi loses potency the longer it sits.
Wasabi paste can be found in the Asian food section of most major grocers, or you can order wasabi powder online. I prefer the powder since it doesn’t require refrigeration, and doesn’t have the additives of the pre-made paste. To make paste, you just add a few drops of water to the powder and stir.
Special Diet Notes: Wasabi Salad Dressing
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose the sweetener that suits your dietary need.
For soy-free: wasabi salad dressing, you can substitute coconut aminos for the soy sauce.
Wasabi Salad Dressing
Author: adapted from Food.com
Recipe type: Condiment
- 3 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar (can sub agave nectar or honey)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- ½ to 1 teaspoon wasabi paste, to taste
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce or tamari until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the wasabi paste and sesame oil and whisk until emulsified. If desired, whisk in the sesame seeds.
- Store the vinaigrette in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Wasabi Powder: If you stock wasabi powder instead of paste, you can substitute the powder. It’s usually a little stronger, so start with less and add to taste.
Serving size: 1 tablespoon Calories: 29 Fat: .9g Saturated fat: .1g Carbohydrates: 3.3g Sugar: 3g Sodium: 75mg Fiber: 0g Protein: .1g